Ballater Walking Festival offers a programme designed for walkers of all capabilities from keen Corrbett baggers to pleasant rambles. Each walker can choose to take part in whatever grade of walk they feel suits them best and can participate on as many as six days or as few as one. Most of the walks are situated within the Cairngorms National Park, though a few enter parts of West Aberdeenshire.
Each day, three categories of walk are available: Easy, Medium and Strenuous. Easy walks are up to six or seven miles long and normally have a minimum of gradient; Medium walks typically measure around ten to twelve miles and may include some substantial hills or the occasional Corbetts. Strenuous walks either include several hundred metres of ascent or are of considerable length.
For all the other walks below, as this has been such a difficult year for many the committee decided that the walks would be free for this year. These walks are led by local residents, or full-time rangers from Aberdeenshire Council or Balmoral Estate, many of whom have special knowledge of the wild life, vegetation or local history which they are happy to share with visitors.
The Ballater Walking Festival Brochure has full details of all of all this year’s walks, starting on 15th May 2021.
OT = Own Transport
- Culardoch & Cairn Liath Corbetts, OT (Monday)
- Shielen of Mark Bothy Circular, OT (Wednesday) Fully booked. Now closed
- Cairn Leuchan & Pannanich Hill (Saturday)
- Heart Break Ridge Circular (Sunday) Fully Booked Now Closed
- Carn na Drochaide Corbett, OT (Monday) Fully booked Now Closed
- Sgör Buidhe Mast & Tullich Valley Circular, OT (Wednesday) Fully Booked Now Closed
- Garbh Alt Falls & Honka Hut, OT (Thursday) Fully booked Now Closed
- Balmoral Cairns (all 8 of them), OT (Friday)
- Cambus O’May Circular (Saturday)
- Chapel Loch, Mill of Sterin Circular (Sunday) Fully Booked Now Closed
- Queen’s Drive Circular from Braemar, OT (Monday)
- Loch Kinnard Heritage & Nature Walk, OT (Wednesday) Starting at 10am
- Genechal, Balnacroft & Distillery, OT (Thursday)
- Tarland Archaeology/Heritage Walk, OT (Friday) Starting at 10am